Cremation has become a popular option for many people because it can be more flexible as to where and when you hold a service. You can have a traditional funeral service before a cremation or a memorial service at any time with or without the urn present. You can keep the urn, scatter the ashes or have the urn buried in a grave or Columbia where we can hold a service. Whether you choose burial or cremation, we’re here to offer you a meaningful ceremony.
Cremation Time Table
The purpose of this document is to communicate information about the cremation process and set realistic expectations for those families choosing cremation for their loved one. It will be very helpful in giving some of the procedures and time frames for events that MUST happen in order for a cremation to take place. We have found that the fewer unknowns that a family has, the higher the ultimate satisfaction they will have with the services we provide. To that end, please review the following information so that you will be knowledgeable about our procedures, practices and time frames.
- The law in California states that the Death Certificate and Disposition Permit MUST be prepared, accepted, and filed with the County Health Department BEFORE cremation is allowed to take place. Because every case is unique, this process can take anywhere from 2 to 7 business days. We cannot tell you at the time of the arrangement conference how long this will take. These are only estimates.
- The actual cremation is not scheduled until the above process has been completed and the Health Department has issued the Disposition Permit. Ordinarily, depending on the cremation schedule at the time the Permit is issued, the cremation may take anywhere from 1 to 7 days from the Permit is issued. It could be longer in some cases.
- This means that from the day we meet with you to make the arrangements, it could take 8 to 14 days for you to receive the cremated remains back. Under normal circumstances, the cremated remains are ready for you to pickup, or prepared for mailing within 8 to 12 days from the date of the arrangement meeting. These are only estimates. We have an expedited service available for an additional fee, that must be arranged and paid for at the time of the arrangement conference. This could reduce the cremation time by several days. Please note that all requests are not possible.
- If you are to have certain documents completed outside of our office after the arrangement conference, the time to complete the cremation would not start until ALL necessary documentation, completely and correctly executed, has been received by our office. Some documents are required to be notarized if signed outside our presence.
- Because of the complexity and ever changing status of the numerous cases that we handle, the cremation takes place at the discretion of the Crematory Manager. We do not inform you, in advance, when a cremation is to take place. However, we will call you to inform you once the cremation is completed and the cremated remains are to be picked up at our office, or sent by Priority Express mail.
- Unless you have, as part of your contract, paid the additional fees for witnessing of a cremation at Ocean View Crematory, there is no witnessing of the cremation.
- Only the Primary or Secondary Authorized Person you indicate on our release form may pickup the cremated remains from our office. If the Right Holder want's the cremated remains mailed, then our shipping charge must be paid and release form signed prior to mailing. The cremated remains must be picked up from our office within 10 days of notification, or a daily storage charge will be incurred.
- We understand death certificates are very important and that your family needs them as soon as possible. With that in mind, please know that the process to prepare these important documents can take up to, but is not limited to, 15 working days, longer if death occurred outside Humboldt County. The process to prepare a death certificate follows a multi-step set pattern that includes cooperation from the Physician, Coroner, Health Department and the Family to work in a timely manner. We will strive to have them available when you pickup the cremated remains from our office. If we mail the cremated remains, we will include them in the shipment.
- We will not be responsible for incorrect information, errors or omissions on the Death Certificate. Please ask to proofread worksheet for accuracy, prior to submission for registration.
Death Certificates are made and sold only by the County Health Department, in which the death occurred. We obtain the initial order for you as part of our service, so be sure you order enough. If later you determine you need more, then you must purchase them form the Humboldt County Clerk/Recorder Vital Records, 825 5th Street, 5th Floor,Eureka, CA 95501. Phone (707) 445-7382 / (888) 486-2732.
We hope this has been helpful. Thank you for putting your trust and your loved one in our care.